Tuesday 19 June 2012

I felt the earth...move...

Literally. Last night had grabbed a couple of mates and gone to the movies to see "Friends with Kids" (funny, especially if you're a parent). Halfway through, the guy behind me starts kicking me seat (or so I think). Then all the seats start shaking back and forth and the screen begins wobbling in and out. Ummm, those screens are big and there's only one way for it to come down - forwards, on the audience.

The earth had decided to quake - a 5.2 on the richter scale type of shimmy. It seemed to last a long time and it was pretty hilarious because in typical Aussie fashion, we all just sort of looked at each other and when it ended, went back to watching the movie. No panic, no drama.

Chantelle at Fat Mum Slim prompted me to think about blog readers this week. My husband and kids  know about this blog (youngest helped me tweak it).   None of my other family or friends do. I deliberately haven't told them about it because it's my space to write freely.

I started this blog not to build a business though it's great that many are. I wrote from home for magazines as a young mum and the flexibility was fantastic. I've been a "corporate" writer now for a few years, speeches, media releases.

In my career I've always had to write about certain subjects, dictated by editors or the needs of the publications I was writing for. There was some latitude but not total freedom.

My blog gives me space to write what I want, to hopefully flex those writing muscles that have been squirrelled away. To think about what I want to say. I don't want to feel constrained anymore and so while I'm glad if someone notices it's more about my self expression than anything else.

The joy of writing - it's been there for me my whole life and now I want to give it wings.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh wings, I too have been dreaming about them for the past few years. Enjoy the flight Jo, I look forward to seeing you enjoy your newfound writing freedom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you were at the movies when the earthquake hit! Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete